Created: Friday, 20 May 2022 11:51
Bente Consulting ApS will be undertaking the mid-term review of the Danish organizational strategy for contribution to the World Bank hosted Global Partnership for Education (GPE). GPE is a multilateral partnership and fund that aims at strengthening education systems in developing countries in order to increase the number of children who are in school and learning. GPE brings together developing countries, donors, international organizations, civil society, teacher organizations, the private sector and foundations with the overarching aim of achieving SDG 4: quality education for all through assisting governments to strengthen education systems through funding and developing sector plans. The review will take place in August-September 2022 and include visits to Washington and Kenya, as well as drafting of a new organizational strategy for Danish support to GPE.
Created: Monday, 10 January 2022 10:52
Second half of 2021 included a short assignment with SOS Børnebyerne in Kenya facilitating a regional program planning workshop in August; a Gender Audit of Financial Sector Deepening Zambia in September - November; and the assessment of applications from 18 Danish NGOs for Strategic Partnerships 2022 - 2025 with Danida from September to December.
The start of 2022 holds a number of assignments through FCG Sweden's framework contracts with Sida and Norad. On these contracts, I am part of FCG's core group of team leaders - and this will materialize in the following contracts in the start of 2022:
- Evaluation of the Sida-funded Strengthening Accountability Program II implemented by Diakonia in Zambia. We are a team of three consultants - the two team members are based in Zambia, and the team leader from Bente Consulting will be working remotely from Denmark. The assignment will run from January to April 2022.
- Reviews of two Norad-funded CSOs in Brazil: IPAM and Imazon. We are a team of three consultants who will all be working remotely from Denmark, Finland and Mozambique. The assignment will run from February to May 2022. These reviews were originally scheduled to start in March 2020 , but have been on corona standby for two years.
Created: Monday, 10 January 2022 10:26
In 2021, Danida renewed its strategic partnerships with Danish NGOs for the period 2022 - 2025. The selection of strategic partners was through an open call, which resulted in 18 applications. The assessment was carried out by a team of external consultants in close collaboration with the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Danida). In addition to the assessment of applications, the assignment also included preparation of assessment tools, training of MFA staff involved in the process and drafting of assessment notes. The contract was held by HN Consultants, and Bente Consulting provided the team leader. The assignment took place from September to December 2021.
Created: Wednesday, 06 October 2021 09:54
Bente Consulting - in collaboration with Bwalya Penza, independent gender consultant - is undertaking an organizational Gender Audit of Financial Sector Deepening Zambia.The work is carried out remotely and involves document review, interviews with all FSD Zambia teams, a staff survey, and interviews with external implementing partners and clients (government institutions, financial institutions and companies). The methodology is based on the EIGE Gender Audit tool, addressing the four areas of political will and leadership; technical capacity;accountability and systems; and organizational culture. In addition to the Gender Audit report, a Gender Mainstreaming Action Plan for the coming 2-3 years will be prepared. Read more about FSD Zambia here. The Gender Audit is carried out in the period of September to November 2021.
Created: Tuesday, 05 October 2021 10:39
In August 2021, Bente Consulting facilitated a week's regional workshop in Kenya for the SOS Children's Villages partners from Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Ethiopia, Somaliland and Denmark. Based on their previous work with national youth workshops and national needs assessments / context analyses, we went through problem analysis, stakeholder mapping, results framework and an overall Theory of Change - and produced the building blocks for a program addressing the specific challenges of young people leaving various care arrangements. Like in Denmark, also African young people having been brought up outside their own family, the transition into adulthood after the age of 18 may be tough.
Created: Friday, 02 July 2021 14:59
Holidays count-down…. Finalizing one of the most productive 6-months period in my life as an independent consultant. In collaboration with a lot of great co-consultants, this has since January this year resulted in the following reports:
- Gender Peer Review for Financial Sector Deepening Africa Network (30 pages main report + facilitation of 10 workshops)
- Kosovo Agency for Gender Equality - evaluation of Swedish support (44 pages main report + technical proposal + inception report) - for FCG in collaboration with Ariana Qusaj-Mustafa
- AIDS-fondet review for CISU (24 pages main report + Inception Note) - in collaboration with Camilla von Schroeder
- UN Women Innovation Facility - review of Danish support ( 31 pages report) - in collaboration with Charlotte Kanstrup
- UNFPA Innovation Fund - review of Danish support (32 pages report) - in collaboration with Charlotte Kanstrup
- Evaluation of LO Norway’s collaboration with OTM-CS in Mozambique (36 pages main report + technical proposal + Inception Note) - in collaboration with Elias Ainadine
- Evaluation of Foundation for Civil Society in Tanzania (50 pages main report + technical proposal + Inception Note) - for Niras in collaboration with Stephen Kirama, Adelaide Kisinda and Linda Helgesson Sekei.
In addition, a few other jobs were also completed:
- Women’s Digital Financial Inclusion initiative (WDFI) 2021–2025 - guidance and QA on writing of project proposal for Financial Sector Deepening Mozambique
- Assessment of 19 NGO applications for Danida Strategic Partnerships 2022-2025 - for HN Consultants in collaboration with Christian Boehm and Søren Langhoff
- Human Rights Based Approach in program management - presentation at University of Nairobi webinar - in collaboration with Joshua Nyamori
Time for taking a good long break before I am back by mid-August for new and exciting jobs:
- Facilitation of a one week regional planning workshop for SOS Børnebyerne in Nairobi - with physical presence! August 2021.
- Gender mainstreaming and accountability roadmap for Financial Sector Deepening Zambia in September - October 2021.
Have a nice summer all of you - and a special thank you to all the great colleagues with whom I have worked this first half of 2021!